Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Primeval

If you are looking for an early review of the new movie Primeval I regret to inform you that you will not find one here. You won't find a review of it here at all.

I mentioned in the Off Season review that "I hate it when a book, or movie, or anything uses artwork for promotion that doesn't match the actual product." This applies to commercials as well. The television spots for Primeval promote a "serial killer" with over 300 victims. The commercials make references to Jack the Ripper and other murderers in history. They even point out the story is based on actual events.

Here's the problem. The "serial killer" in the movie isn't a person. It's a crocodile known as Gustave. Does this mean we can call the shark from Jaws a serial killer? What about the dog from Cujo? As long as we are using labels the wrong way why don't we starting calling him "Jack the Lover" instead of Ripper?

The "actual events" the commercials hype? You can read the truth at the BBC News website.

If a movie requires misleading marketing to get people into the theaters it makes me wonder how bad the movie really is. Had the advertising been more truthful I might have gone to see it, but advertising this misleading guarantees I won't.

I just wish that The Lost was playing in theaters nation wide. Now that's a movie I want to see.

No comments: